According to a recent report, New York State sits in the top 10 states of the highest construction fatalities. The data reported construction workers in New York State are dying at 4.6 times the rate of overall workers. Falls are the most dangerous threat to construction workers and remain the leading causes of construction related deaths.
“We need to take action now to end the crisis of rising construction fatalities in New York State,” NYCOSH Executive Director Charlene Obernauer said in a press release. “These deaths are almost always preventable and occur on non-union job sites 80 percent of the time. Latino workers compose the majority of fall fatalities … and there is a strong correlation between employers who steal workers’ wages and who force workers to work under unsafe conditions.”
Report Findings and Recommendations
NYCOSH’s report listed out the data findings and recommendations to improve worker safety in New York State, including:
- Workplace fatality rates are trending upward in New York’s construction industry.
- Non-union construction sites are especially dangerous for workers.
- Employers who violate health and safety laws also cause worker fatalities.
- Wage and hourly violators are more likely to be safety and health violators.
- Mandatory OSHA 10-hour training for all city construction workers.
- Support and maintain laws that protect workers.
- Increase supervision and enforcement.
Construction workers who spend their days building New York must be protected to the highest extent regardless of race, gender, or immigration status.
Your Legal Representation
Construction fatalities continue to skyrocket in both New York City and across the state. Nearly 89% of construction related deaths could have easily been preventable. Construction is dangerous, but with the correct education and training, protective equipment, and increased enforcement and penalties for violators, we can help prevent these deaths. If you or a loved one has been injured in a construction accident, we encourage you to contact The Cochran Firm New York today for a free consultation. You deserve to be compensated for your injures.